Friday, April 22, 2011

I have what?!?!?!?

I went for my glucose test yesterday. I was doing the 3 hour one. I had to fast from midnight the night before, they drew my blood and tested it. The nurse then told me it was 101 and I could go eat. I said, "what?" I'm supposed to drink the drink and she told me that because my sugar level tested higher than 94 I had to go see a diabetic counselor at South Shore hospital. I asked her if I had gestational diabetes and she said NO when I went to the counselor she will test me again.

The hospital called me today to schedule my appointment and I was informed I have been diagnosed with gestational diabetes. I nearly dropped the phone. I asked the woman to clarify because my doctor's office was not able to confirm that yesterday. She said according to my chart, I was to schedule an appointment with the counselor to go over my meter and how to test my blood multiple times throughout the day. I also will need to have an ultrasound to check the development of the baby. I explained that I thought I was going in for another test before being diagnosed and she informed me I could speak to the counselor about that. Then, the following Saturday I have an appointment to meet with a nutritionist to discuss my diet.

I am somewhat worried a this point. How can I be told one thing and then another (with a diagnosis) before even having another test done. Has anyone else had gestational diabetes and if so how was it diagnosed? I am also concerned because in my research, there have been statements regarding an increase risk of Type 2 diabetes for me later in life. I plan on calling my doctor on Monday and discussing this with him but any help anyone can give me would be wonderful.

No comments:

Post a Comment