Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Only the Good Die Young

I know this blog is for my motherly wishes and here is a big one...I wish Baby Gallup could have met Edward Whelan. This was a man who was a fatherly figure for me for the past 16 years after my father passed away. He lived next door from me (23 years to be exact) with his wife AnneMarie. I love the both of them dearly.

I received a phone call from my mother on Friday morning informing me Eddie had died. I was in shock and raced over to their house immediately. I didn't know what I was going to find at the house. I was greeted by AnneMarie saying "You have to go to work". I told her I was staying with her and my mother. The funeral home was called and were on their way along with AnneMarie's son EJ.  Eddie was not sick and died very peacefully in his sleep.

Let me explain the significance of the Anawan Street family.  Back in the late 60's early 70's they were building houses on Anawan Street in Brockton and many couples were looking to buy them. They soon moved in and started their own families. At the bottom of the street were the Foley's, Caldwell's, McCarthy's, Conroy's, and Walker's. At the top of the hill were the Whelan's and Sullivan's. All of us were family. Many of the kids went to school together (I was too young but I had great babysitters). Any party that was happening, we were all there. A few years back many of the mothers and fathers moved elsewhere because their children were all grown up and had families of their own. The Whelan's and Sullivan's stayed along with the Caldwell's and McCarthy's.

Eddie was the first patriarch to pass away. He will be dearly missed. My mother told me on Friday that Eddie was keeping up on my baby news and what was new in my life through Facebook and my blog. He also told my mother he was very excited that we are having a boy and if she ever needed help watching him to give him a call and he would be right over. In the back of his car, he had a child gate for my mom. He was the most considerate, thoughtful and unselfish man I knew. May he rest in peace.

1 comment:

  1. nice post erin, you really summed him up! I will miss him.
    xoxo
    c

    ReplyDelete