Saturday, April 30, 2011

It is confirmed...

It has been confirmed by my doctor, my diabetes nurse, a high risk OB, and a nutritionist that I do in face have gestational diabetes. So, where do we go from here and what does this mean? It is a long roller coaster of doctor's visits, finger sticks, and ultrasounds.

On Wednesday I went and saw the Diabetes nurse Kathy. She was very nice and answered all of the questions I had (no matter how crazy they were). I did do some research before going and she was impressed that I looked at the ADA website and not just some random ones that might have said terrible things that would put me in a panic. Anywho, She taught me how to use my meter and we talked about keeping a log so we know where the numbers are coming from.

Today, I am going to the nutritionist and we are going to discuss my diet. Hopefully I will be able to help this with diet and exercise. I know that I am not skinny and that could have been one of the contributing factors of this. It is not a definite indicator though.

I had a doctor's appointment with my OB yesterday and Fred finally got to meet him. Boy can this doctor talk. I couldn't even get a word in. He said that the way the numbers were looking, I am able to process and metabolize the sugar through the day but not at night (my fasting test in the morning is high). He said that it might have to be regulated with insulin. I also faxed over my log to the Diabetes center. Kathy called me on my way home to see if I had made my appointment yet with the high risk OB. I had not but she was working on that. We discussed my numbers and she said the same thing the doctor said. I am glad that things are starting to make sense and I understand them.

I finally made my appointment with the high risk OB and they want me to come in pretty soon because they want to make sure "Rusty" is doing well and has not started growing a lot. I have to do a separate log for them now too. Upon arriving home, Kathy called me back. She said she had talk to high risk OB and they agreed I need to do another test on top of the finger sticks. They want me to check my urine for Ketones. This is what helps break down sugars when you are sleeping. They think that I either am missing those or they are not working correctly and I need to have a snack during the middle of the night to help with that.

So, this is going to be a long third trimester. I now start my doctor's appointments every other week and in the off weeks I have to meet with the high risk OB and have ultrasounds. I am extremely tired just thinking about it. Everything is going to be fine...POSITIVE THINKING!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment